26/11/2011

only men



Many paya have an area of shops close by, this one has
cool marble floored walkways. Only men can add gold leaf
to the large buddha. I don't recall ever reading that
in what the buddha taught, although he did supposedly say
that women could not be enlightened.
Well, who could be?
The head of this buddha is wonderfully beautiful,
though the body is lumpy with gold.




Possibly could have been more of a shopper in Burma, except
the overwhelming feeling was 'we have too much stuff already'.
If I go again, I'll stay longer in the Mandalay area,
& countryside.




2 comments:

Kiki Suarez said...

Did the Buddha really say women could not be enlightened? Many women followed him. Shantideva and many others, no? I wished he had not said that.

Kiki

anie williams said...

I forget the context I heard it, on a meditation course in
the 70's possibly. Whatever enlightenment is, it's surely
not personal ~ which would mean neither men nor women..